Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Easy Corkboard redo!


It's been awhile since I have posted anything. Anyways, I have been reading on a lot of other blog's lately about a corkboard redo. I have a corkboard that sits above my desk, gets some use for school activities and such for the kids and I, but it is not pretty. In fact, It. Is. Ugly. I attempted some time back to paint the frame with leftover silver spray paint, but it really was not much of an improvement.

Here's a before shot, for comparison~
(and forgive me, the pictures were taken with my droid, which is often uncooperative.)



Plain, plain plain. After a trip to the fabric store, I chose a darker grey fabric that I really liked. The curtains in my little computer room are a super light grey, and I wanted to stay within that for now. I did take the advice that  an interior decorator named  Bryn posted at her lovely  blog  of ironing the fabric beforehand.

I used my staple gun, and started stapling the fabric upon the back of the board, not needing to pull it tightly just yet. (almost for got to mention I removed the hanging hardware. I stuck it in the box of tacks so I wouldn't lose it).




So my next step was the corners. I decided to spread the fabric to each corner and staple down, so the effect from each side would be smoother.




After I made my way around, I began to pull it tighter. I saw on a few blogs they recommended using spray adhesive, but I assume since you pin things to it, that I may not actually need it. =) Just continued stapling my way around and finishing the corners as I went.



Next, came the fun part. I started adding in the nailheads. I began by putting one in each corner. I didn't want to actually have to measure to make it evenly spaced. I then added a nailhead in between each set of tacks, towards the middle. I just worked my way around, adding in between 2 tacks everywhere I went.




Continued till I had a number of the nailheads I actually liked for the board. and voila! Done! 



All I had left to do was re-add the hanging hardware that I had originally taken off, just 2 little metals hooks that were nailed in. I really love how it looks, so much nicer that looks at the cork!! What a quick redo, took less than half an hour, counting ironing. Love it.

The Breakdown:

$2.44           grey fabric remnant
$1.59  X 2   black nailhead type fabric tacks from the fabric store
_________
$5.62      

I love a quick update that is so cost friendly! I already owned the staple gun and many boxes of staples leftover from hanging christmas lights.

Have you tried a redo like this?  What did you do differently/the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment